Saturday, May 22, 2010

May 2010 FM10 experience!

He-Hi!

May was indeed a great month as far as photography is concerned. In am able to place myself! and I can see a focus on my subject selection. As always, I loved people photography and Market. This time I enjoyed clicking people where I can establish their character! Few shots at the market where more on the produce than people. I love the colour. This is one genre which would be showcased at its best in colour photography than anyother format. The green of raw mangoes/guavas, the yellow of banana, red/pink shades of flowers... these subjects have better visual perception in colour photography.

The month of may is indeed a month of blunder as well... Photography, at least, never works when you are in a haste. You either adorn the role of a subject or a photographer...if u would suggest the self-timer mode, it doesnt work in haste as well... I ruined 1 entire rolll of a 400 ASA roll in the name of hasty loading. anyway, Its a lesson well learnt!

few pics i shot ths month:


f5.6, 1/60


f5.6, 1/60
This subject of roses, at a florist's desk, was shot with a normal lens. Yet it moves towards macro photography which tend to have very little depth of field because the subject is so close to the lens. I was just too quick to capture these roses. This was shot at the bus stop i frequent to commute to Adyar. I was rushing for another task around 5pm in the evening. My bus was just there, but I was engrossed by the lighting on these roses. Couldnt experiment with many shots sue to lack of time and haste. Most important reason is: This shop is a roadside encroachment and was close to moving vehicles. I feared an accident. Wish I could have clicked more pictures of this subject.


f3.5, 1/30
Ah! Children...one of my favorite subjects for their candid nature. You engage them with something and they are busy and helps you expose their candid nature! A doing something is much more engaging to the viewer than a posed-shot! This picture was shot on a cloudy/ sparingly rainy day. My lil fellow was fascinated by the umbrella and was busy with it. Not a planned shoot. I found that I had a loaded camera and I was quick to make use of this opportunity. No haste though... Wish I had a b/w film. I feel a b/w picture of this setting would be a better match.


f3.5, 1/30
My biggest challenge was to make him pose. Wish it was a brighter day.


f8, 1/60


f8, 1/60


f8, 1/60


f3.5, 1/60


f5.6, 1/60


f5.6, 1/60
I love this picture for its composition. It is a vivid example of geometry. Shapes, lines and contours are present in our everyday surrounding. But we hardly pay attention to these elements of design. When I captured this picture, I was only thinking about the green and yellow placed at different levels. I was looking fr a vantage point that would give me an interesting composition. After developing, I noticed the angular and circular shapes in the image. Though there are many elements in this frame, it looks uncluttered because of its "grouped" nature.



f8, 1/60
This picture is indeed an abstract i shot this month. Much later, I read an article on clicking shadows. A well-written one which taught me more. Mid-day sunlight can be harsh and unappealing in many cases.In fact, a picture I shot of my colleague had ugly harsh shadows below her eyelids and on her philtrum. But this kinda mid-day lighting is perfect to capture shadow and texture on walls/ground. A strong shadow of a recognizable object falling on a texture makes it all the more interesting. this photograph includes the object as well as its shadow. I wish the emphasis was more on the shadow. Shadows are affected by characteristics of the place they fall on and this will make the picture more engaging. In this picture, the shadow seems like a reflection and the nature of the ground affects it to a certain degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment