Saturday, October 30, 2010

Kill The Restricted Photographer

Probably, this is a weird phrase "The Restricted Photographer"...

weird because it doesn't literally stand for restricions you tend to associate with. Be it permissions to click pictures or access to a subject, those are only secondary restrictions.

By "The Restricted Photographer",I mean self-imposed restriction.

What would you call a photographer who is passionate about photography but doesn't click pictures; one who finds a lively subject like a Thiruvizha (temple festival) but doesnt click pictures; one who has a basic film camera that works and loaded but doesn't click pictures; one who has a loaded camera at home but doesnt step out to click pictures??????????????????? ... if i ask a zillion questions like that and if i have to answer it, I would say "The Restricted Photographer"!!!!!!

Having been a photographer since 2003, processed and printed all formats of films and photographs, I find myself as the "The Restricted Photographer". Of course I take no pride in it, simply hate terming myself that way and to certain extent i am embarrased about it. Yet, self-realisation is typical and a just measure to anchor myself, i believe.

When I look back, I could trace few instances which i have feel could have changed my perspective as a photographer. This blog is a classic example of one such instance. My sole aim of creating this blog was to anchor myself as a frequent photographer. In spite of the urge to practice and experiment till the era of film completely fades, I found myself as "The Restricted Photographer"

For my peers and hobbyists who seek to excel in photography, here are few "points" which could prevent you from being "The Restricted Photographer":
1. Never let go of any instance thatcatches your attention
2. Have your gear handy always
3. Maintain you gear
4. Good photography is not in the technology use; it's in your skill and practice. So any camera can give you a best shot to it's capacity
5. Give your best as a photographer
6. A dormant photographer is no better than a dead one.
7. Keep processing what you clicked...be it digfital or film
8. Only if you see the output, you would be able to judge your photography
9. film or memory card which is dumped aside doesn't exactly give you feedback about what you shot. It's better to view and review your shots. This leads to improvement.
10. No matter how busy you are and whatever profession you belong to, take time with your camera. This indicates interest.
11. A lazy photgrapher is worse than "The Restricted Photographer"...so kill him/her too!

This is Ramalakshmi signing off...hereby killing "The Restricted Photographer" and Lazy Photographer in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment